Maori Kapa Haka – Level 1
Students will learn a waiata a ringa as well as cultural knowledge pertaining to geography, traditional items, iconic Maori and more!
Level one- Introduction to Maori kapa haka taught by Brooke Williams
Upon successful completion of this 8 week Beginners Traditional Māori Performing Arts (Kapa Haka) course you will have learnt, the meaning associated with each body movement, basic technique and formation for each movement:
- Takahi – Footwork
- Wiri – Hand movement and placement
- Kauae runga – Head-movement
- Pukana – Facial expression
- The difference between tribal variations of each movement
- How to sing and dance at the same time
- How to perform an item with precision
- Students will learn a Waiata- a ringa (action song) and a Ngeri (haka).
This course will be engaging, educational and lots of fun.
Nō reira, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou katoa
- 8 weeks of video lessons- released every Saturday at 9am AEST.
- First video lesson to be released 7th November, there will be a one week break for Christmas period, week eight video to be released on the 2nd January 2021.
- Week nine is assessment week- whereby students are required to send in video of the waiata- a ringa and ngeri and complete a quiz based on information shared throughout term- Assessment week is 9th January to the 16th January 2021.
- Week 6 is live zoom meeting with tutors 12th December 2020 9.30am AEST
30-40 minutes. Meeting is an opportunity to ask questions and for tutors to discuss assessment, tutors may also run through dances.
- It is recommended that students send in progress videos every two weeks, to receive feedback, assistance with technique.
- Upon completion of assessment students will receive report and Certificate of Completion.
Brooke has tribal affiliations to Te Whakatōhea, Ngai Tai, Te Whanau a Apanui, Ngāti Porou and Te Arawa. His experience includes performing since a child, he performed and was assistant tutor for senior kapa haka team Tauiramaitawhiti. Brooke has also performed in a finalist team for Te Matatini Festival 2017/2018.