Oceanic Dance – Level 1
This course is for students who would like to learn a variety of Oceanic Cultural Dances at an introductory level. Students will learn basic movements and short routines from Tahiti, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands. Every two weeks a new dance style and routine will be introduced and taught.
Level one- Oceanic dance taught by Moemoana Schwenke
- Minimum age 10 years.
- Students will learn basic movements and short routines from Tahiti, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands. Every two weeks a new dance style and routine will be introduced and taught.
- Participants must have had previous dance experience to keep up, or be motivated to learn quick.
- This class is a great introduction to some of the oceanic cultural dance artforms.
Moemoana has lived in Tahiti and danced in Heiva cultural festival, also performing in the Cook Islands for Te maeva nui cultural festival with Manea Pacifica. Moemoana is also no stranger to performing in Samoa, for various shows, and she has been performing Tongan tau’olunga for over five years. Moemoana’s deep love for the Pacific is in infectious through dance.
- There will be assessment of dance in week 9, whereby students will be required to send in routines via video for assessment. And quiz based on information obtained during course.
- Certificate to be awarded on completion of course.
Moemoana Schwenke has extensive experience with various Pacific cultural arts, locally and internationally. She has placed 1st runner up in the womens category for the 2019 World Fire-Knife Competition in Hawaii, she has participated in the 2017 Te Maeva Nui dance competition in Rarotonga, 2019 Heiva I Tahiti Festival representing legendary group O Tahiti E, 2019 Teuila Festival as a guest artist and much more.