Siva Afi – Beginners – Level 2
This course is for students who are interested in learning the basic movements and techniques of Siva Afi or Fire-Knife dancing at a beginners level.
This course is for students who are interested in learning the basic movements and techniques of Siva Afi or Fire-Knife dancing at a beginners level. In the Siva Afi Beginners Level 2, students will learn:
- New basic Siva Afi movements and techniques
- Harder combinations of Siva Afi movements
- Warm-up drills that work on speed and control of movements
- Kneeling and ground motions
- How to correctly hold and handle their Siva Afi practise stick
- Correct stance, posture and alignment
- Siva Afi origins, and some important Samoan mythology, and historical or cultural knowledge
- How to confidently execute Siva Afi movements in a new Siva Afi routine
- How to execute movements with warrior-like strength
During the term students will also be required to complete a quiz and video exam at the end of term to receive a Certificate of Completion. Participants are required to practise daily or weekly in order to keep up with class content.
Note: students will not be dancing with fire due to safety, this course objective is to learn a routine with practise stick only.
Moemoana Schwenke has extensive experience with various Pacific cultural arts, locally and internationally. She has placed 1st runner up in the womens category for the 2019 World Fire-Knife Competition in Hawaii, she has participated in the 2017 Te Maeva Nui dance competition in Rarotonga, 2019 Heiva I Tahiti Festival representing legendary group O Tahiti E, 2019 Teuila Festival as a guest artist and much more.